Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Abbreviated Issue

Work has been killing me over the past few weeks, with much traveling and little sleep. But I have managed to look out the window a few times since mid-January and am happy to report an increase in American Goldfinches, Bushtits, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. And for the first time since September, Pine Siskins (below) have graced us with their presence. Two were spotted and photographed at the sunflower feeder this morning.



Other than that, it's pretty much more of the same. I have a Super Bowl to watch in an hour and a half (Go Colts!) and will be busy with work again at the crack of dawn on Monday. So instead of being wordy, I'll just leave you with some recent photos...


A White-crowned Sparrow feeds on sunflower seed.


Western Scrub-Jays continue to visit the yard for peanuts and cracked corn.


American Goldfinch numbers are up (to 20-30 at a time) and some are even beginning to molt. (Note the dark spot on the crown of the bird on the left perch.)


Our resident Yellow-rumped Warbler continues to make the rounds.


A Red-breasted Nuthatch, traveling with a flock of Bushtits, visits the suet feeder.


One of two Black-capped Chickadees stops in for a peanut.

Here is a summary of what I've been counting for FeederWatch recently. I can't say that I'm disappointed, given that we've only been feeding here for three months.


(Click chart to enlarge)

Until next time, when I promise that I'll be a little more wordy...

No comments: